Organic keyword rankings are the position where your sites URL’s appear in the search engines. The aim of search engine optimisation is to rank every page of your site as high as possible on the first page of Google preferably at the top for the simple fact that the higher you are in the rankings; the more traffic your site will receive. It’s a simple correlation; the more traffic you site gets, the more sales you will achieve. It really is as simple as that. Browsers often don’t go beyond the first pages of the search engines so it’s imperative to get your site ranking as high as possible on the first page.
Why Is It Important To Track Organic Keyword Rankings?
Understanding where your rankings are on Google is important so that you can identify what work is required to improve the rankings of certain keywords. Each page of your site should be targeting one or two top level keywords. Typically on Google you will have 10 organic listings per page so if you are top you will be number 1 and if you are at the bottom you will be position 10. Focusing on optimising landing pages that contain keywords that are in position 10+ will allow you to significantly improve the traffic to your site.
What Are Benefits?
- A regular ranking report will allow you to track and monitor the movement (positive or negative) of important keywords in the search engines that will drive targeted traffic to your site.
- Understanding rankings will help you identify pages of your site that need optimisation work with clear focus on priority keywords.
- Monitoring rankings will allow you to benchmark your position against that of your competitors
- Sudden movements in rankings can identify technical problems or algorithm penalties early.
- Tracking over time will allow you to monitor the progress of your efforts good or bad which will allow you to influence your digital marketing efforts.
There are many ranking software tools out there but after trying many, we’ve found that this one is by far the best out there. It also comes with many other features and functionality that will help you continuously improve your keyword rankings and it also allows you to track as many competitors and their keywords as you like; great for identifying new keywords to target. Some great ranking tools include AWR Cloud and SEMRush, both of which offer a fantastic set of tools to aid you in your ranking tracking and growth.